Cannibalistic Dream

One vivid dream that I recall may have been inspired by working in a hotel restarant where food waste was exessive.
The dream was in the setting of an exclusive hunting lodge. The lodge had its own small yard for rearing poultry for the consumption of the clientelle. The chef of the exclusive country establishment introduced a new surprise special to the menu. This became a very popular dish drawing an exclusive clientele to its restarant by personal reccomendations from the surrounding and wider area. When I asked what exactly the dish was I was informed by the proud chef that it was a 'Long Suckling Pork Spitroast with Sautéed Spring Greens and New Potatoes'. Certainly a big fanfare was made of serving it with large and very expensive silver serving dishes complete with huge dome covers.
I came to realise what 'Long Suckling Pork' was when a local business event night was cancelled due to an untimely bereavement. Left out among boxes with the rest of the refuse waste from the kitchen were large transparent bin liners containing a writhing mass of tiny little limbs. The faces of the babies looked strangely anime-cartoon like with large faces and large bulging eyes. Their hands pawed in vain at the sides and their gaping mouths were sucking in the polythene as they slowly suffocated. I remember feeling outraged in my dream, exclaiming to myself, 'What a terrible waste of good food! First the scallops in garlic butter and now this!!'.

Comments

  1. This one always creeps me out. I love the connection of the dying babies with the waste of food. To be honest I interpreted this dream as the ruthless growth of consumer culture and capitalism which reletenlessly forces us into permanent apathy, disposing of our humanity (represented by the babies) into the polythene bags, waiting for collection.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Sister's World

Cannibalistic Dream II -Simmit Meat??

A Day in the Life of a Cathouse Mog